Wednesday, June 16, 2010

2008 Kim Crawford Unoaked Chardonnay


I used to really enjoy the big, buttery style of Chardonnay that is so prevalent right now, but over the past year or so I've changed to prefer the un-oaked, Chablis style Chardonnays. I have read that New Zealand is starting to exciting things with varietals other than Sauvignon Blanc so when I saw this un-oaked Chardonnay from a great producer I definitely wanted to include this in the blog this week.

The Kim Crawford Unoaked Chardonnay is a pale golden color and has aromas of honeyed red apples, butterscotch and some pear.

The taste on this wine is not oaked, but there is definitely some of that malolactic butter flavor. There is also a lot of apple and pear. I think this wine is decent and well made, but I'm confused what they are aiming to achieve. If you are going for an unoaked style then where is the mineral quality that would drive the fresh fruit?

I think a lot of people will like this wine because it does show good fruit without too much oak and its very easy to drink; however, for me there was just something missing. And at $17/bottle I think there are better options from France at the village level category.

No comments:

Post a Comment