Thursday, April 29, 2010

2007 Vina Von Siebenthal Carabantes

This is absolutely one of my favorite wines. I first had this wine at a small restaurant in Santiago. It blew me away and I walked across the street to the El Mundo del Vino and purchased four bottles. Three made it back to the USA. The first was opened almost immediately upon my return and now I'm drinking the second bottle. I can't wait to taste the 3rd this fall when the weather turns a bit cooler and I can pair it with a hearty stew.

The blend is 85% Syrah, 10% Cabernet Sauvignon and 5% Petit Verdot.

The color of the wine was a little lighter than I remembered, but it had a beautiful ruby color with tawny edges.

The smell was all berries initially followed by slight "barnyard" that gave it a very French feel. The berries to me were sour cherry and a small amount of raspberry. I also smelled a little bacon with pepper. Over the course of about thirty minutes the wine evolves and picks up more floral notes with a strong menthol component. Don't be scared by the menthol...very interesting and well integrated.

The flavor followed the aroma fairly well except I didn't pick up on the raspberry much. Starts off as cherry flavored bacon and keeps that profile until the flowers and menthol kick in. I can't discern the type of flower, but the menthol is unmistakeable.

This wine is 14.5% alcohol, but you'd never know it. They did a great job. No heat at all. It's like silk on the palate.

US distribution is limited, but I know it's available in Florida and the company website says there is distribution in Rhode Island. If you are lucky enough to find this wine do yourself a favor and pick up a bottle. You will not be dissapointed. Don't hesitate to try any of their other offerings as well. The quality is outstanding.

I'm posting a link to the website. Great story about making your dreams come true and some good background on the wines.

If you've had it I'd love to know what you think.

www.vinavonsiebenthal.com

No comments:

Post a Comment