Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Santa Ema Amplus Sauvignon Blanc

This is the second Sauvignon Blanc of the week and the one that I was most excited to try. I have had other products in the Amplus line and have been impressed with the quality. Needless to say this wine did not disappoint.

The color in the glass was golden with a slight green tint. The winery's description of the aroma called for tropical fruits and I agree. I smell kiwi and pineapple (maybe it's the Leyda Valley fruit). This is classic Sauvignon Blanc in a more restrained style than most are used to if you typically drink Sauvignon Blancs from New Zealand. The grapefruit is evident, but not over the top.

Crisp acidity is the first thing you notice on the palate along with light grapefruit complementing the tropical fruit. The acidity mellows as ithits the mid-palate and the texture picks up weight. The weight is reminiscent of a light chardonnay, but obviously the flavor profile is different. The finish lasts 20-30 seconds, which I find quite lenghty for this varietal.

As the wine warms in the glass, I start to pick up more of the pineapple. Some may find the wine more fruity than they are used to if they like New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc, but for me this strikes a great balance.

Retail price in Louisville, KY was $14.

No comments:

Post a Comment