Tuesday, April 27, 2010

De Martino Alto de Piedra Carmenere

This is the wine I split with my friend Lee Boyd Monday night.

The De Martino Alto de Piedra is a 2006 vintage single vineyard Carmenere from the Maipo Valley. This is a wine that I purchased in Santiago, Chile in November 2008. I can't remember the retail price, but I do not remember purchasing anything very expensive during the trip. If I had to guess a retail price, I would say that it retails for $20-30 if you can find it. I am not sure of the US distribution, but I have not seen it in Louisville, KY.

The color in the glass is a deep opaque purple. The aroma that I detect is black plum and dark cherry. I also smell some vanilla and a small amount of coconut. The initial taste is all cherries with slight oak. The plum is evident in the mid-palate and the coconut comes through on the end. The finish lasts for 30 seconds and is great.

This wine has extremely soft tannins and is very easy to drink. A well marbled piece of beef would be a perfect compliment. The only downside I see to this wine is that it may be a bit one dimensional since it concentrates heavily on the dark fruits, but overall I would buy this wine again without hesitation.

No comments:

Post a Comment