Monday, June 7, 2010

2006 Dr. Fischer Ockfener Bockstein Riesling Kabinett


This was the last wine of the week and I had saved what I thought would be the best for last. I had not heard of this producer before, but my friend Chris at Westport Whiskey and Wine recommended this and he has never pointed me in the wrong direction.

Glynnis, my fiancee, and I took this wine with us for Sushi on Saturday night. She honestly wasn't all that happy about the choice because she didn't want another sweet Riesling, but she agreed and off we went.

The wine had the same light yellow color as the other Rieslings, but this one seemed just a bit lighter.

The aromas were peaches, honey and a hint of citrus.

The flavors followed the aroma profile, but there was almost no residual sugar. I thought this wine was great as did Glynnis. Definitely the best wine of the week.

One of the things I remember when I bought this from Chris was that he said he had had it since the store opened. The original bottles had been sitting there a couple of years. There just isn't that big a market for Riesling. Maybe too many people have been turned off by the overtly sweet style of some wines and never went back to experiment with other producers. It could have happened to me, but I'm glad I had this . This will be my "go to" Riesling.

What I noticed most from tasting Riesling this week is that all of the wines had the same flavor profile, but its how well integrated all the components come together that make the difference. It's no different than other wine varietals, but it really seemed to be evident to me in this style.

No comments:

Post a Comment