Wednesday, June 2, 2010

2008 Reuscher-Haart Piesporter Riesling


OK, here we go. Another Riesling, but it seems like that is all I can find in Louisville. This is a label that I had not seen before though so that is a positive...at least I'm trying something new and for me that is part of the joy of wine. You could taste for years and still be left in the dark with regard to the abundance of labels in the marketplace.

This wine is pale straw with some very light hints of green. There were also tiny bubbles in the wine. The wine was not effervescent, but there were still bubbles.

The aromas were all tropical fruit...mango, papaya and citrus.

The flavors on the wine contained so much fruit. An explosion of tropical fruit. Very slight traces of minerality and some acidity balances the sweetness. I tasted this last night and then again this evening with consistent notes.

Very low alcohol at 8% which makes the sweetness seem more pronounced, but I think this is well made. And, at $17 (Wine Rack on Frankfort Avenue) for 1L I think it's a good value. This would be great to have in your cellar for guests who are Riesling fans as well as for those who are starting to explore more structured white wines, but are not ready to move to a completely dry style.

No comments:

Post a Comment