Friday, June 11, 2010

2008 Sophenia Reserve Chardonnay


Its always a good night when our neighbors, Chris and Dan, stop by to see if we want to join them for dinner. Chris said stop by in about an hour and bring some wine. We are having pork and chicken cutlets with ratatouille as a side.

I looked in the cellar and found this chardonnay. I hadn't had it before, but I thought we'd give it a shot.

The color was a light golden yellow and the aromas were not that pronounced. I smelled some red apples, yeast and maybe a little oak and vanilla.

The flavors were very subdued, but it had good integration of fruit. The apples and maybe mango were well balanced by a little oak. I do not like over oaked wines, but this was well done and the oak played a minor role and did not dominate.

Honestly, there was nothing that really jumped out about this wine other than it was really good. I kept looking for something, but in the end maybe the best compliment you can give is that you wish you had a second bottle to open.

Purchased for $16.99.

No comments:

Post a Comment