Sunday, June 20, 2010

2009 Kim Crawford Sauvignon Blanc


Kim Crawford is one of my favorite New Zealand producers for Sauvignon Blanc. The vintage matters slightly, but you always know its going to be good at a decent price. The current vintage is between $16-18 depending where you buy in Louisville, KY. Prices are lower at larger Internet sites, but shipping has to be factored in.

The color on this is pale straw just like most other Sauvignon Blancs, but what I found different about this wine was the aroma. The other Sauvignon Blancs I tasted this week were more fruit forward. The Kim Crawford was the first to be vegetal as the primary with fruit as the accent. I rather liked the aroma, but could not quite pinpoint "vegetal" any further. It bugged me so much I looked at a couple of professional reviews and one explained it as the leaves of a tomato plant. As soon as I read that it took me back to ripping out tomato plants at the end of summer and then smelling your hands. That's what this wine smelled like. Great!

The flavors were typical New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc. Kiwi, grapefruit, stone...all backed up by that beautiful vegetal quality. Good acidity but remained full in the mouth. I really liked this effort by Kim Crawford. For me, better than the past couple of years. That being said, I still think my favorite Sauvignon Blanc this week was the Brancott Vineyards.

No comments:

Post a Comment