Thursday, June 3, 2010

2008 Valckenberg Dornfelder


My best friend is having his first child and I wanted to send him a bottle of Champagne. I stopped at my favorite wine shop, Westport Whiskey and Wine, to find the perfect bottle. If you haven't been then do yourself a favor and go talk to Chris at this store. All you need to do is give him a price point and let him know the style you like and he will introduce you to some amazing wines.

During our Champagne conversation I mentioned my blog and that I was having trouble finding anything other than Riesling for this week's Germany review. He told me it would be tough, but he did have one Dornfelder that could be interesting.

This Dornfelder is produced by PJ Valckenberg, a winery that has been making wines in Germany since 1786. The wine is a beautiful deep ruby color and has aromas of black cherry and cola. As the wine opened up I started to smell some cocoa.

This wine has some residual sugar and my first thought when tasting was of a mid-level Pinot Noir with a dose of sugar. The flavors were all red fruits and cola. I had never had this varietal before, but found this interesting.

I had two glasses of this without food and while it was good...I do feel it needs food to balance the sweetness.

The price was around $15.99.

No comments:

Post a Comment