Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Henkell Trocken Dry-Sec NV


Well, over the past three weeks I've tasted wines from Spain, France and Italy. I debated a while on what country to visit next, but finally decided to stay in Europe one more week and taste my way through Germany. I hope to find some interesting wines in town, but my fear is that I will be comparing different Rieslings.

One interesting wine I found by chance at a wine tasting is the Henkell Trocken Dry-Sec. This is a sparkling wine from Germany that is composed of Chardonnay, Chenin Blanc and Riesling.

The color of the wine was pale straw with a slight golden tint. Very small bubbles and good effervescence. The aromas were green apples, citrus (lime?) and yeast.

The taste was light, but very pleasing. The apples and lime really shine through with some slight minerality and good acidity. There seems to be the smallest amount of sweetness, but it is pleasant and complementary not overpowering.

This is not champagne, but I think this will please most all who like sparkling wine and it's much better than most bottles you will find at this price point...$12.

No comments:

Post a Comment