Wednesday, June 9, 2010

2008 Achaval Ferrer Malbec Mendoza


Achaval Ferrer is a well respected producer in Argentina and is probably the leading producer of single-vineyard malbec in Argentina (at least what gets exported to the US). This malbec is a blend of those single vineyard sites and takes something from all of them.

The color of the wine was a beautiful deep purple with ruby edges and the wines smelled of fresh plums and blueberries.

The taste of the wine was very fruit driven and the plums and blueberries really came through for me, but the fruit was balanced by good minerality. The tannins were well restrained, but the wine still had great structure. Classic malbec.

I believe this wine/vintage actually got mixed reviews with one critic giving it a mid 80 score and another giving it a low 90. I think it falls somewhere in between and if I had to give it a number I would say 88-89.

This wine was $24.99 at Liquor Barn in Louisville. If it's in your price range then give it a try because its solid, but Argentina produces so many good malbecs I do think you could find something comparable for $17-19.

No comments:

Post a Comment