Sunday, May 30, 2010

Il Prosecco NV


If there is a sparkling wine from a region I am reviewing you can bet that it will be tasted during the week. Luckily enough Italy makes a great tasting light sparkler called Prosecco. While it doesn't usually have the flavor depth of champagne, they do provide a great alternative to pair with appetizers or light dishes. And, they are usually priced very attractively.

The prosecco I chose to taste this week is Il Prosecco. I have not had this before and the packaging of the wine caught my eye. It comes in a bowling pin shaped bottle with a "beer cap" type closure. The pricing also caught my eye and was curious what an $11 sparkler could offer.

The color of the wine was almost non-existent. Very, very pale straw. The aromas were very hard to detect and all I was able to smell were hints of peach and some yeast. The bubbles are very tiny, but dissipate very quickly.

The flavor was also very light and was just peach and a Small amount of pear. This was not complex, but would be a great introduction to sparkling wine or would serve as a great mixer or aperitif.

Overall, it wasn't a bad choice and was easy to drink. However, I feel there are other prosecco products in the market that are much more complex for just a few more dollars (<$20).

No comments:

Post a Comment