Thursday, May 20, 2010

2001 Domaine de la Motte Anjou-Villages


I found this in the cellar and was a little worried when I saw the vintage. This wine is made in a fruit forward style that should typically be consumed 1-5 years after the vintage. The wine is from the Loire Valley and is a mixture of cabernet sauvignon and cabernet franc.


The color of the wine was an old brick red turning brown at the edges. The aroma smelled of blackberry/raspberry jam with a strong overlay of oak.


The aromas carry through to the flavor profile, but the fruit seems flat. Its still there, but the oak plays center stage and the roles should be reversed. I believe I may have missed the window on this wine.


I remember buying a few bottles of this several years ago and I liked the profile better then. Its a good producer from a great area, but sometimes when you miss the sweet spot on aging you just get an average bottle of juice. I wouldn't be embarrassed to open it for friends, but I'd feel like I needed to explain that it has been better.

No comments:

Post a Comment