Tuesday, May 4, 2010

2006 Von Siebenthal Parcela #7

I enjoyed the Von Siebenthal Syrah so much I thought I'd finish the Chile week with another of the products...the Parcela #7. The Parcela is a blend of 55% Cabernet Sauvignon, 30% Merlot and 15% Cabernet Franc.

The color of the wine is a nice ruby color, but it is lighter than I expected for the blend. The nose was slightly vegetal and had tomato and black olive components that I found interesting. These are typical Cabernet Franc aromas and that is one of my favorite varietals. There were also hints of berries and a slight floral component. The nose was pleasing, but it did not jump out of the glass.

The flavor profile was an interesting mix. I picked up on black cherries, dried cranberries and black olives. I thought the tannin structure was good and would last a couple more years, but I wonder how much more fruit there would have been if I'd tasted this a couple of years ago.

Overall, I liked the wine, but I do think its a food wine and I wish I had tasted it with a meal instead of drinking it without food. The wine was balanced and I think this would pair nicely with roasted lamb.

All that being said, for the money I'd rather have the Syrah from earlier in the week.

It's been an interesting week visiting Chile and with the exception of the Chardonnays I really enjoyed the trip. I think there are great bargains from this region as well as some superstar reds that are world class. If you havent tried many Chilean wines then do yourself a favor and branch out.

No comments:

Post a Comment