Monday, May 10, 2010

2008 Borsao Red Wine

On the recommendation of my friend Jeff Montaigne I am going to taste wines from Spain this week. Maybe I should have started this blog with wines from Spain since that country's wines are the ones that started my love for wine. Regardless, we are here now and I am going to taste through several different regions this week. Spain has so much to offer for any wine lover and with more "land under vine" than any other country there is something for every palate.

The first wine I am tasting this week is the 2008 Borsao Red Wine and consists of 75% Garnacha and 25% Tempranillo. This wine comes from Campo de Borja region of Spain. This small appellation is due south of Navarra and southeast of Rioja. It is part of a larger area called the Ebro River Valley and I feel its limestone rich soils make some of the best wines in Spain. Rioja gets most of the press, and deservedly so but, Campo de Borja offers some tremendous values.

The color of the wine is dark purple with lighter edges. The aroma of the wine smells like a big bowl of berries. Primarily I smell raspberries, but there is also a cherry component. As this wine opened up I started to pick up on a chocolate as well. By the end of the bottle it smelled like a bowl of chocolate covered raspberries. Very nice.

The flavors were very fruit driven and lush. The raspberries, chocolate and cherries continued through the tasting and I thought the wine was great. It wasn't incredibly complex, but I would consider it perfect for both someone learning about red wine or the experienced drinker who is looking for something fun to open with friends.

At $7, I consider this wine a "must by" for summer barbecues.

5 comments:

  1. Have you ever had the Borsao Rose? MMMMMM!!!!! it is a must for any summer wine list I keep at least three bottles in the fridge at home because it goes down that well....Just enough forward fruit moving through the palate to a hint of acidity make this a great sit on the porch and drink all day wine but complex enough to go great with food

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another friend was talking about it at a rose tasting recently. She said it was good. Two recommendations now. I'll pick up a bottle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We'll have some at the wedding. Should be the right temperature for it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This wine is an excellent value! I am getting some nice peppery notes too!

    ReplyDelete