Sunday, May 9, 2010

2007 Klinker Brick Old Vine Zinfandel

This winery has been receiving good press lately and I recently saw it in Louisville so I wanted to see what they had to offer. The two wines we had in Louisville were the Syrah and the Old Vine Zinfandel.

The color was a deep opaque purple. The aroma was classic zin. Huge aromas of blueberry and blackberry. Maybe a little leather as well. Very big berry aromas.

This is a very "juicy" wine. The berry flavors are very straight forward. This wine is not overly complex, but I think the winery did a good job. The alcohol seems well integrated and I didn't feel the heat that a lot of jammy zins show.

We enjoyed this wine with our friend Michael while having hamburgers. It was a very good match. I also think this wine would be great with barbecue. At $17, I will be buying this again and also look forward to trying the Syrah.

That wraps up California. Good week, but looking back I think I spent too much time in Napa and Sonoma. The state has so many other regions I will need to revisit in a couple months and will make it a point to focus on areas such as Monterrey, Santa Barbara and Santa Cruz.

Stay tuned as I taste some wines from Spain for the upcoming week.

No comments:

Post a Comment