Wednesday, May 5, 2010

2007 Honig Sauvignon Blanc

I had not heard much about this winery until I went to a wine dinner last year. It was a Honig wine dinner and I had the opportunity to sit beside the owner, Michael Honig during the dinner. I thought he was extremely knowledgeable and likable and took the time to answer a multitude of questions even though the evening was turning late and he had been on the road for some time during this promotional tour.

Let me start by saying that I really like this winery...they concentrate on two varietals, Sauvignon Blanc and Cabernet Sauvignon, and they do them very well. I also agree with their environmental philosophy and will go out of my way to support a sustainable winery, as long as they produce a good product. Honig gets an "A" in both departments.

This Sauvignon Blanc had a classic light straw color. The aromas in the glass were grapefruit and some kiwi. This expression of Sauvignon Blanc is much more restrained than its New Zealand counterparts if you are more familiar with that expression of the grape. A very mellow smell that just says, "I'm ready for summer".

The flavors were grapefruit and melon and were light and easy to drink. There was enough acidity to support the fruit, but the mouth feel was more lush and textured than the biting acidity you taste in New Zealand or Chilean Sauvignon Blancs. This is probably from the combination of 44% oak aging and 56% stainless steel.

I like this wine a lot and at $15 I consider it a bargain. Distribution on this product is good and should be readily available at most wine shops. In smaller distribution is the Reserve selection at around $24. If you have either of these near where you live pick up a bottle and see what you think.

Here's a link to the winery. There is some good information on the wines and sustainability.

www.honigwinery.com

No comments:

Post a Comment