Saturday, May 15, 2010

2008 Altovinum Evodia Old Vines Garnacha


This is another Eric Solomon selection. I have also heard that since Gallo bought the rights to the Las Rocas brand the fruit originally sourced for that brand is now used in the Evodia. That being said I was r


I was really excited to try this. I was a large fan of the Las Rocas brand and started drinking it years ago when it was $6/bottle (currently $13).


All of this fruit comes from high altitude vineyards that were planted up to 100 years ago. The D.O. for this wine is Calatayud, which is up near Barcelona.


The color of the wine is deep purple. The aromas are typical old vine garnacha...roasted plum, black cherry and some earthy components.


The flavors started a little thin to me, but as the wine had time to breath I felt like it gained depth and complexity in the glass. The roasted plum flavors are backed with cherry and spice and a nice earthy component.


This retails for $9/bottle and I think that is a steal. It tastes like a $20 bottle easy. I'm not sure how long this will age, but at $9 I am going to buy a few bottles and test it over the next couple of years.

3 comments:

  1. I have arranged a tasting for this Thursday where I will be tasting the Evodia and Las Rocas side by side...I will post my tasting notes her for you to review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Would love to see your notes. Had the Las Rocas for a comparison, but wasn't feeling like a two bottle night.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well the Las Rocas absolutely blew the Evodium out of the water....Big and bold with Blackberry and dirt on the nose...lush forward fruit that led into firm and supple tannins, retail on this wine would probably be a about $15 and worth every penny. The first vintage of this wine that we had was very tight when young and needed some age. The current vintage drinks great now but would be even better in about hree or four years.

    ReplyDelete