Friday, May 7, 2010

2006 Gary Farrell Pinot Noir Rochioli-Allen Vineyard

This is a great pinot producer and they concentrate a lot on single vineyard designates. I like that I can count on the quality from one producer, but have completely different pinot flavor profiles depending on the vineyard. I also like that each bottle is individually numbered. It doesn't make the wine taste any better, but I think it adds something to the experience.

I also want to mention that if you are ever in Sonoma County you need to stop by this winery for a tasting. The views from the winery are some of the best I've ever seen.

This pinot is made from grapes sourced from the prestigious Rochioli and Allen vineyards. In my opinion, you would be hard pressed to find better grapes for pinot in California.

The color of this wine a very nice light ruby...almost translucent. Perfect pinot color for me.

The nose was not as fruit forward as I had experienced in the past. There were cherries and tea and a slight tobacco aroma for the nose.

The flavor was not very fruit forward and really picked up more on the tea and tobacco flavors with the red fruit playing a contributing role. Overall, the wine was solid, but at roughly $60-65 I would pass for this vintage and go with the base Russian River selection that combines fruit from multiple vineyards.

No comments:

Post a Comment