Monday, May 17, 2010

2004 Joseph Drouhin Moulin-A-Vent


As fun as Spain was, I am looking really forward to tasting my way through France. I don't think there is another country that offers the breadth of wine choices as this one country. If you can't find something you like within France's borders then maybe you don't really like wine. I can't remember who said it, but I do remember the gist of the quote, "no matter where you start, all wine roads lead to France." And, even with the strong Euro you are more apt to find bargains here than in the USA.


First, I want to say that this is a wine from Beaujolais, but it bears no resemblance to Beaujolais Nouveau. Most grapes from this region are used for the Nouveau, but there are several Crus in the Beaujolais region and Moulin-A-Vent is my favorite. Beaujolais is an area just south of Burgundy and this particular vineyard is one of the oldest in the area.


Because of the proximity to Burgundy, a lot of people call this the poor mans burgundy, but this wine is 100% Gamay so I don't really feel its fair to compare it to a 100% Pinot Noir from Burgundy. This wine stands on its own, comes in at a fair price and will age well for years while it takes on additional complexity. Sounds pretty good right??


The color of the wine is a deep purple. The aromas to me have scents of plums, earth and mushrooms.


The flavors are more fruit than is evident on the nose. I still taste the plums and mushrooms, but I also get some sour cherries and other red fruits. There is enough tannin to give it structure, but it doesn't dominate.


This wine is great and I think it would age well at least another few years. I can't remember the exact price since I bought this a couple of years ago, but I would guess it was between $15-$20. To get this type of taste and aging potential, from a winery with this pedigree at this price is a steal.
Buy it by the case.



No comments:

Post a Comment