Saturday, May 15, 2010

2007 Red Guitar Old Vine Rose


My friend Michael had this wine and knew I was tasting through Spain this week and wanted me to give it a shot. He had not tasted the wine, but wanted to know what I thought. I like Spanish wines and I like Rose and if you can get a free bottle that combines the two then I think that's great. Thanks Michael!


Before I talk about the wine I want to talk about the region. I've tried to taste from a different region of Spain each day so you could see a good cross section of what the country has to offer. This wine comes from Navarra which is in the Ebro River Valley. If anyone is familiar with the Running of the Bulls in Pamplona then you know where this region is located...its just south of that famous festival. It is also adjacent to the Rioja region of Spain.


Navarra is known for rose, but that's not always a good thing. They do make good roses, but they are trying to start exporting higher priced reds and the history of rose may take time to overcome.


The Red Guitar rose is 100% Garnacha. The color in the bottle is pink with a peach tint and when poured in the glass it picks up more peach tones. Very pretty color.


The aromas were typical rose with hints of raspberry and strawberry, but there were also some pepper notes. Not a huge nose on this, but pleasant.


The flavors were okay. Some berry backed with pepper. There was good acidity, but I didn't get a lot from this. We paired it with a Mediterranean pasta salad and shrimp and it went well enough, but it didn't blow me away. The Albarino from earlier in the week would have been a much better match.


The wine has a retail cost of about $10. For me it's a pass. You can get Muga, Artazzuri, and Borsao roses that deliver more flavor for less money.

No comments:

Post a Comment