Thursday, May 6, 2010

2008 Saintsbury Carneros Vin Gris of Pinot Noir

This is a rose wine from Carneros in Sonoma County California. I am a very big fan of rose for summer and I think that Saintsbury is an excellent producer of Pinot Noir so I was really excited to see what they had to offer.

The color in the bottle was deep pink, but turned lighter in the glass and was pale pink with a hint of light orange on the edges.

The aroma was strawberry and slight cranberry. Not a very strong nose on this.

The flavor was sour cherries and strawberry. There is no residual sugar, this is completely dry. I initially had this very cold. It was crisp and the flavors were muted. I considered it to be an uninteresting wine. I let the wine warm a bit and the flavors became more pronounced, but the prominent flavor I picked up on was a sour component.

Overall, I was disappointed in this wine. I would not buy this again and feel there are much better options at this price point.

Suggested retail on this wine is $14. I paid $8.99 at a warehouse sale.

No comments:

Post a Comment